.

.

Thursday, May 22, 2014

DIY Moroccan Dresser

 Hey! Christi here! One of my favorite things to do is refinishing furniture. There is so much joy that comes with bring new life to an old piece of furniture.


I was given this dresser with the challenge to make it look adorable for a little girls bedroom. 

First we started with the color. We knew we didn't want anything too girly looking so we got lucky when we found this pretty blue/grey paint color in the "mess-ups" at Home Depot. Whenever you are at Home Depot or Walmart make sure you run over to the paint sections to see if you can find any steals! Sometime they have the perfect colors for more than half off! Nothing gets more exciting than that.


I got a regular plastic paint holder and covered it in tin foil. This is one of my favorite tricks! I'm sure you all know how annoying it is to wash those things out when you are switching colors. Problem solved. Just cover it in tin foil and when you are done just ball it up and throw it away. 

I also used a roller vs a paint brush. I found this to work much better with all of the flat surfaces I would be painting. Normally I would recommend spray painting furniture, but this time I just used regular ol' paint (there is a lot more variety in colors available).



I painted the drawer faces white. Waited for it to COMPLETELY dry then taped it off and did the blue/grey border. I then drew my designs on with pencil. For the Moroccan pattern I traced that shape from a tile I had. Then, for the stripes and the chevron I just used a ruler and tried my best to make everything even.


After some tedious hand painted we finally have the finished dresser! The random pink glass knobs (Hobby Lobby) gave the perfect girly touch to a not so girly dresser.



If you have any questions about what products I used or if you need any tips, don't hesitate to comment below!


2 comments:

Elana said...

This is SO cute! I so wish I had the motivation (or talent) to do something like this. Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I can't wait to follow along and see more of yours; you two are so cute! :)

www.room-334.blogspot.com

Emma said...

wow what a project! it looks great :) I was just listening to a podcast (I think it was on 99% invisible) and it was talking abut that middle pattern. okay that was super nerdy and irrelevant, but... oh well.

Post a Comment